Reports to: Director of Business Finance
FLSA Status: Full time
Location: Two openings. One position in Duluth office and one position works regionally (may office in Hibbing, Grand Rapids, Eveleth.)
Do you have a passion for helping small businesses succeed? Do you want to be part of a talented and innovative team that supports and helps your career path? If so, the Entrepreneur Fund has a career for you!
The Entrepreneur Fund is an economic development organization committed to growing the regional economy by boosting the abilities of the region’s business owners seeking growth. We actively partner with small business owners to grow their business. EF provides small business loans up to $750,000 and a variety of services to support entrepreneurs in meeting their goals. EF serves 17 counties of northeast Minnesota, central Minnesota and northwest Wisconsin.
The Entrepreneur Fund Business Developer leads our early-stage customers through the entrepreneurial process. The business developer works closely with Entrepreneur Fund clients to provide individual counseling, trainings and assist with loan capital needs for the successful start-up, expansion and stabilization of the clients business. The business developer is responsible for developing meaningful business relationships whereby clients reach out to the Entrepreneur Fund staff for planning and as a sounding board. Success in this position is directly linked to the organizational mission of seeking vibrant communities created and sustained by entrepreneurs.
- Gain understanding and expertise in the utilization of the SBA Micro-loan program.
- Provide consulting; pre-loan and post-loan, to SBA Micro-loan clients and potential SBA Micro-loan borrowers.
- Maintain an on-going relationship with SBA Micro-loan clients to assist in meeting business goals and advancing their skills and development as small business owners.
- Refer and facilitate SBA Micro-loan client’s work, with our team of external consultants, as needed, for specific professional expertise.
- Work 1:1 with SBA Micro-loan clients on confidential & complex financial and business model issues.
- Provide lending-related feedback to SBA Micro-loan clients regarding business plans, projections and practices.
- Verify and validate client information including:
- Business Plan or Project Summary for business start-ups, expansions or stabilizations.
- Client business cash flow projections and corresponding assumptions.
- Client personal cash flow requirements.
- Client business financial information compared to industry standards.
- Client business model; feasibility and viability analysis.
- SBA Micro-loan process.
- Identify appropriate funding requirements as compared to each project.
- Conduct extensive financial (personal & business) capacity due diligence.
- Collateral verification.
- Collaborate with EF lending team to complete loan packages.
- Other duties as assigned.
- On-going SBA Micro-loan client follow-up to ensure open lines of communication.
- Annual client financial review.
- Understand client needs and to share Entrepreneur Fund resources on a timely basis.
- 1:1 technical assistance as needed (expansion, stabilization…etc.).
Ideal Candidate profile:
The ideal candidate will be an effective business advisor who has achieved mastery in the stages and requirements of growing a small business. The ideal candidate will use their knowledge, experiences, and abilities to develop a keen understanding of their client’s needs. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively guide and develop small business owners in achieving their goals by being a trusted, credible resource and through building a strong business relationship. The ideal candidate will have a passion for serving area business owners and match the core values of the organization.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in finance or accounting, and/or 2+ years of relevant experience.
- Commercial lending or business advisory experience preferred, but not required.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- MS Office Excel/Word/Outlook/Power Point.
- Excellent time management with great attention to detail.
- Comfortable in networking and presentation settings.
- Excellent proficiency in:
- Analysis of business loan requests.
- Analysis of profit & loss statements, balance sheets and cash flow statements.
- Understanding and interpreting business operations and business legal structures. * Demonstrated ability to:
- Be a self-starter who can work with minimal supervision.
- Work effectively in a highly collaborative, team environment.
Job Type: Full-time
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Required)
- Commercial lending or business advisory: 1 year (Preferred)
- Finance or Accounting: 2 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
About The Entrepreneur Fund
The Entrepreneur Fund is the resource for entrepreneurs in northeast Minnesota, central Minnesota and northwest Wisconsin. The Entrepreneur Fund has fueled more than 14,000 businesses with expert support and funded over $48 million in loans since 1989. The Entrepreneur Fund is dedicated to strengthening entrepreneurship in the region, while also supporting and increasing economic development. Through this strategic approach, the Entrepreneur Fund promotes the entrepreneurial spirit and helps create economic wealth and diversity in northeast Minnesota, central Minnesota and northwest Wisconsin. For more information, visit EntrepreneurFund.org.